As a child of God, one who has accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior, you have a powerful weapon at your disposal—the Word of God.
by Kenneth Copeland
“For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” –Hebrews 4:12, NIV
The Word is the No. 1 weapon God has given you to win in life. When applied correctly, it can solve any problem—financial disaster, chronic illness, crumbling marriage, broken relationship, political unrest… anything!
Of course, like all weapons, the Word is most effective when wielded correctly. Consequently, if you don’t know how to use your weapon, it’s useless. Your weapon, the Word of God, can just lie there on your bookshelf collecting dust, or you can get it out and learn how to use it.
How do you learn to use the Word of God? You study it, apply it to your life, and speak it aloud. These actions will allow the Word to change you from the inside out by renewing your mind and helping you line up your life with God’s ways.
You may be thinking, Can reading God’s Word, applying it and speaking it really make that big of a difference? Yes, it can and will!
Simply look at the ministry of Jesus. He gave us the greatest example of what it looks like to live out the Word of God faithfully. In fact, that’s exactly what His life was—the Word of God come to life.
“I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does…. I do nothing on my own but say only what the Father taught me.” (John 5:19, 8:28).
Jesus is the living embodiment of the Word of God. And guess what? You are His joint heir. You have access to everything He had access to. In fact, He made this promise about you: “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father” (John 14:12).
By studying God’s Word, applying it and speaking it—all with the help of the Holy Spirit, by faith—you will receive miraculous results just like Jesus did. Here’s how to get started.
How to Study the Word
Studying the Word of God helps you know God’s will. When challenges arise, you don’t have to pray, “If it’s Your will, God, please fill in the blank).” Now you can pray with confidence, knowing how God responds to His people.
Step 1: Believe You Can Do It
You may be thinking that you’re not very good at studying the Bible and that it’s impossible for you to learn and understand it. But that is a lie the enemy uses to keep God’s people blind to God’s truth and promises. You are able to get the Word of God deep inside you, and you can understand it with the help of the Holy Spirit.
Jesus said in Matthew 7:7, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you” (NIV).
Those who ask, seek and knock will get the answers they seek. That’s a promise from Jesus! Yes, it may take time, but you can do it. Read God’s Word, study it, memorize it, think about it, pray it and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal its meaning to you.
Step 2: Make It a Priority
Make studying the Word your No. 1 priority. Also, don’t let anything distract you from diving deeply into God’s Word. Check out the article, 8 Steps to Get More Out of Your Bible Study Time, for practical tips to make this daily discipline a life-changing priority.
Step 3: Get Support
Connect with other friends and like-minded believers who are as dedicated about studying the Word as you are. Look into joining a local Bible study group at your church, or find a friend to go through a study with. In addition, if you need to find a church in your area that values the integrity of God’s Word, check out our list of Partner churches.
In addition, you’ll find powerful resources at your fingertips at KCM.org. Check out our Real Help section where you can get teachings on subjects that matter to you like faith, finances, healing and relationships. You can also tune in to the Believer’s Voice of Victory broadcast, watch the 24/7 Believer’s Voice of Victory Network, and read the Believer’s Voice of Victory magazine. Another great option is attending a KCM meeting. These powerful two- to six-day events allow you to immerse yourself in God’s Word in a life-changing way.
How to Apply the Word
As you study the Word and learn what it says, you’re ready to apply it. Ephesians 6:10-17 encourages you to “put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all the strategies of the devil” (verse 10). This includes wielding “the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God” (verse 17). Here are some steps to applying the Word:
- Discover what the Word says regarding your situation. Whether you are standing for physical healing, emotional well-being, a loved one’s salvation, financial provision, professional blessing or something else, you can find scriptures to stand on.
- Begin praying those scriptures over your situation. For example, if you are praying for a family member’s salvation, begin praying that the Lord will send laborers across his path (Matthew 9:38). The key is to find out what the Word has to say and then pray that over your situation.
- Begin praising God for His promises. If you are fighting depression, begin thanking God that “the joy of the Lord is your strength” (Nehemiah 8:10). If you are fighting a chronic illness, begin thanking God that “He was beaten so [you] could be whole. He was whipped so [you] could be healed” (Isaiah 53:5).
- Let the Word be your litmus test for every action you take. Colossians 3:23 says to “work willingly at whatever you do, as through you were working for the Lord rather than for people.” Look objectively at your life and ask yourself if the choices you make reflect Jesus. If not, change your choices. God will never bless sin; therefore, commit to getting sin out of your life so that your life can reflect God’s truth.
- Obey the Word by walking in love and forgiveness. There is power in the act of forgiveness. Just look at Jesus’ instructions: “When you are praying, first forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your sins, too” (Mark 11:25). God wants you to come to Him with pure heart, one that is free of anger, bitterness and resentment.
Allow your study of the Word of God to help you apply it effectively!
How to Speak the Word
Once you get the Word of God inside of you by studying and applying it, the Word naturally begins to flow out of you. You know what the Word says because you’ve spent time reading, studying and memorizing it. When difficulties arise, you’re able to naturally begin proclaiming the Word of God over those situations. When breakthroughs occur, you can instinctively begin praising the Lord and proclaiming His goodness.
By declaring the Word aloud, you are doing three things:
- You are reminding the Lord of His Word and showing Him that you believe that Word to be true.
- You are reminding yourself of what His Word says. This is a continuous process; it never ends. Regardless of how long you have been a Christian, reminding yourself of the Word is a beneficial, daily practice.
- When you speak the Word aloud, you are taking a stand against the enemy. You are proclaiming that Jesus is Lord over your life, that God’s Word stands true, and that the enemy is defeated in your life.
Enjoy the Results of Using God’s No. 1 Weapon
The results of studying God’s Word, applying it and proclaiming it are strengthened, stirred-up faith, and an abundance of wisdom and peace! So don’t delay. Begin strengthening your faith with the Word of God. Let it transform you and those around you as it prepares you to live an overcoming, miraculous life!
© 1997 – 2022 Eagle Mountain International Church Inc. Aka Kenneth Copeland Ministries. All Rights Reserved.