Do you have a strong spiritual fortress around you, or are there holes in your borders? Find out how you can fortify your borders and keep the devil out!
READING TIME: 6 MINUTES
One small breach is all it takes.
A family who lived on the border of a wildlife preserve learned just that.
They owned some land where they kept several miniature horses as pets. One day, as they were walking the property, they saw a small area of the fence on the border of their land that was broken. They didn’t think much of it. It was a small space, after all. So, they decided to wait to fix it.
One day, the woman of the house looked out the window and saw a lion devouring her favorite miniature horse! That one small, unfortified area of their fence had cost them dearly.
The Bible speaks of fortified cities as those intentionally built to prevent enemies from overtaking them. Every hole or breach in the wall was constantly attended to and filled, leaving no gaps. (See scriptures that emphasize the importance of fortified borders HERE.)
Fortified=strong and secure. That’s why God told Jeremiah, “Today I have made you strong like a fortified city that cannot be captured” (Jeremiah 1:18).
He’s saying the same thing to you today. It’s time to put a stop to the enemy sneaking through the small, broken areas of your life, and shut him out for good. It’s time to fortify your borders and keep the devil out—not only during a crisis, but every day.
1. Fortify the Borders Around Your Physical Body
Can you feel it? He’s circling. Prowling like a lion to see whom he may devour.
What’s he looking for? Holes in the fence around your border. How can you fortify it?
Take an inventory of the borders around your physical body.
Where has the enemy taken ground in your health? Does he have you convinced:
- That you’ll always have those allergies?
- That you’ll never be able to lose weight?
- That you’re certain to inherit your father’s heart disease?
- That you’ll contract COVID-19?
Don’t leave even a small breach in your fence. Fortify the borders around your body with these simple tools:
- Speak ONLY health and healing.
- Don’t blow a hole in your borders with your words.
- Obey natural laws—diet, exercise, stay out of stress, laugh.
- Read healing scriptures, even when you think you don’t need them.
- Expect to live in divine health all the days of your life.
- Plead the blood of Jesus over your physical health regularly.
- Declare Psalm 91 protection over your health every day.
- Rebuke the enemy, and tell him to get lost!
- Listen to Gloria Copeland teach Healing School on VICTORY as often as possible.
And one more thing. Be joyful! Even during a crisis. Joy fortifies you with supernatural power when you start to weaken. Nehemiah 8:10 says, “The joy of the Lord is your strength.” That’s not only spiritual, mental and emotional strength, but physical strength, as well.
2. Fortify the Borders Around Your Money
Now that your health is taken care of, let’s move over to finances. The enemy has come to your borders to steal from you—and not just a few pennies either. He wants it all. He is against you—against your happiness, against your ability to give to others, and against your ability to live the abundant life Jesus died to provide you.
He’s especially eager to break in during a crisis, when your faith might be challenged.
So, what do you do to prevent thieves in the natural from stealing your goods? You lock your doors, you might have a car alarm, you protect your PIN number on your debit card. You take steps to keep the thieves out.
You need to do the same thing in the spirit realm. Here are some of the ways to protect yourself from the ultimate financial thief.
- Tithing. This is a biggie. And it’s simple, really. No tithing, no borders. Even in a crisis. Why do you think the devil has worked overtime to keep people convinced it’s unnecessary? Don’t be caught with your borders open. Tithe!
- Giving. How does giving money away protect your money? Easy. It keeps you in line with God’s Word (obedience is a major fortifier), prevents you from loving money, and keeps you in a continual flow of sowing and reaping. Walls sealed.
- Staying Out of Debt. Ooh. Here’s where it gets sticky. You need it now, you want it now, and hey, zero interest for 90 days! Cool! No. Not cool. And it’s a trap. When you borrow money, you’re moving into a covenant with a lender—a lender who suddenly has the authority to blow holes in the walls around your finances. Best to stay clear.
- Speaking Right Words. Can’t seem to get ahead financially? Facing a financial crisis? How can we put this delicately? You need to watch your big mouth. Yep. That’s the ticket. Keeping your words in line with God’s Word is the way to increase. Keep telling the world or yourself that you’ll never get ahead, or you don’t have any money—and guess what? That’s precisely what you’ll get.
And one more thing. Rebuke the enemy! Tell him to get his grubby hands off your stuff. Do everything that’s been mentioned, even if you don’t think you’re in a place to do so. It won’t be long before the borders around your money will be impenetrable and you’ll see increase like never before—even during a crisis.
3. Fortify the Borders Around Your Marriage
Don’t think the enemy is content to just go after your health and money. No. He wants your marriage, too. In fact, he knows if he can dismantle marriages, he can destroy families and usually pull off a full assault on their health and money at the same time.
Your marriage is a treasure.
It represents Christ and the Church. It is a gift from God. And He desires that all marriages stay together. A strong, intact family is a blessing and a witness to the world. And for so many other reasons, it keeps you happy and healthy!
During crisis, there can be a strain on your relationships. So, work to fortify the borders around your marriage. It will be worth every bit of effort. Here are a few things you can do to keep the enemy out of your marriage:
- Stay out of strife—no matter what. You aren’t always right, and even when you are, it’s not worth fighting about. Share your feelings, but don’t let anger or pride get the best of you.
- Put your spouse first. It’s easy to think of yourself and your needs, but by turning the focus on your spouse and his or her needs, you’ll foster the kind of relationship most people only dream of. Plus, you’ll inspire your spouse to want to meet your needs even more!
- Leave and cleave. When you get married, you are joined to your spouse, who now takes the primary position over your extended family. Be sure that your spouse always comes first and that you have honored the Lord’s command to leave and cleave.
- Guard against intruders. If the enemy can’t get in on his own, he’ll try to send reinforcements in the way of temptations from the opposite sex. Guard yourself and your marriage by deciding not to spend time alone with the opposite sex. If anyone becomes a threat to your marriage, end that relationship.
Watch Gloria Copeland and Billye Brim teach you the best way to pray over your family.
4. Fortify the Borders Around Your Faith
This last border is the most important of all, and it can be especially challenged during a crisis. That’s why, when Peter had denied Jesus and would go on to face more trials, Jesus told Peter that He prayed one simple prayer for him—“that your faith may not fail you” (Luke 22:32).
Of all the borders Jesus was most concerned about fortifying, it was not Peter’s health, finances or relationships that topped the list—it was his faith.
How can you fortify your faith?
- Keep yourself separated from the world. Don’t let the media, television, friends or family talk you into abandoning what you know is true.
- Keep the Word of God going in your ears all the time. Remember: Low Word Level=Low Faith Level=Slip. Don’t slip.
- Choose your friends wisely. Did you know people who spend time with those who are making poor choices are more likely to make those choices themselves? Who you spend time with matters. The wise walk with the wise. Spend time with people who are full of faith, and it will fortify your own faith.
- Praise God Every Day. When you praise God, you fortify your faith and loose His presence into your situation.
You can fortify the borders in your life—even during a crisis! You don’t have to tolerate attacks in any area—Jesus came to give you an abundant life. All you have to do is build a fortress so strong, nothing can penetrate it!
Watch Gloria Copeland and Billye Brim teach you how to use your authority in Christ Jesus.
© 1997 – 2023 Eagle Mountain International Church Inc. Aka Kenneth Copeland Ministries. All Rights Reserved.