There’s no question about it.
The moral foundation of our nation is being undermined and attacked. We are witnessing things in this nation that are devil-inspired. It’s time for the people of God to be unashamed and take a stand for righteousness.
As the 2020 election approaches, there are forces pushing an agenda against the Word of God, and we have an opportunity to stand firm.
One critical issue where we must arise and take action is abortion—the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy. As Christians, this must be a nonnegotiable issue in our voting. Why? Because it is nonnegotiable to God. Voting for candidates who are in favor of abortion makes us accomplices to murder, whether we agree with abortion or not.
There is a lot at stake in 2020 when it comes to abortion, and many new issues have arisen. Here, we’re answering five questions about abortion and the 2020 election to help you make an informed and biblical decision.
1. Where does the Democratic Party stand on the issue of abortion?
Many people cast their vote with one issue in mind—often focused on a financial benefit they believe they will receive. The problem with this line of thinking is that it discounts the implications of the rest of what that party stands for.
When it comes to abortion, we as Christians have a responsibility to protect God’s creation. It’s part of stewardship on the earth. So, in the 2020 election, the party platforms matter.
First, we’ll take a look at where the Democratic Party stands on the issue of abortion. The Democratic Party platform states the following:
Democrats are committed to protecting and advancing reproductive health, rights, and justice. We believe unequivocally…that every woman should be able to access high-quality reproductive health care services, including safe and legal abortion. We will repeal the Title X domestic gag rule and restore federal funding for Planned Parenthood….
Democrats oppose and will fight to overturn federal and state laws that create barriers to reproductive health and rights. We will repeal the Hyde Amendment, and protect and codify the right to reproductive freedom.
- Democrats are in favor of abortion.
- Democrats want to force taxpayers to pay for abortion. (See Question 4.)
- Democrats don’t mention any limits on the procedure or the stage of development of the unborn baby. (See Question 5.)
Note: Democratic elected officials vote with their party platform 74% of the time.
2. Where does the Republican Party stand on the issue of abortion?
Now, let’s take a look at where the Republican Party stands on the issue of abortion. The Republican Party platform states the following on protecting human life:
The Constitution’s guarantee that no one can “be deprived of life, liberty or property” deliberately echoes the Declaration of Independence’s proclamation that “all” are “endowed by their Creator” with the inalienable right to life. Accordingly, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to children before birth.
We oppose the use of public funds to perform or promote abortion or to fund organizations, like Planned Parenthood, so long as they provide or refer for elective abortions or sell fetal body parts rather than provide healthcare. We urge all states and Congress to make it a crime to acquire, transfer, or sell fetal tissues from elective abortions for research, and we call on Congress to enact a ban on any sale of fetal body parts. In the meantime, we call on Congress to ban the practice of misleading women on so-called fetal harvesting consent forms, a fact revealed by a 2015 investigation. We will not fund or subsidize healthcare that includes abortion coverage.
We support the appointment of judges who respect traditional family values and the sanctity of innocent human life. We oppose the non-consensual withholding or withdrawal of care or treatment, including food and water, from individuals with disabilities, newborns, the elderly, or the infirm, just as we oppose euthanasia and assisted suicide.
We condemn the Supreme Court’s activist decision in Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt striking down commonsense Texas laws providing for basic health and safety standards in abortion clinics.
We call on Congress to ban sex-selection abortions and abortions based on disabilities — discrimination in its most lethal form.
This is only an excerpt of the Republican Party’s strong stand for life. We encourage you to read the entire statement in the platform.
With regard to Democrat support of abortion, the Republican Platform states:
Democrats’ almost limitless support for abortion, and their strident opposition to even the most basic restrictions on abortion, put them dramatically out of step with the American people. Because of their opposition to simple abortion clinic safety procedures, support for taxpayer-funded abortion, and rejection of pregnancy resource centers that provide abortion alternatives, the old Clinton mantra of “safe, legal, and rare” has been reduced to just “legal.” We are proud to be the party that protects human life and offers real solutions for women.
- Republicans stand for life and against abortion.
- Republicans pledge to protect the unborn, as well as provide support and alternatives for pregnant women in need of assistance.
- Republicans have taken a strong stand against the brutal practice of late-term abortion and the harvesting and selling of fetal body parts.
- Republicans oppose taxpayer-funded abortions.
3. Where does the Bible stand on the issue of abortion?
In one of the most powerful teachings on where the Bible stands on the issue of abortion, Pastor George Pearsons recently shared 10 scriptures on what God thinks about abortion. We’ve shared them for you here.
- Deuteronomy 30:19: “This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live” (NIV).
Life begins in the womb. It is not a blob or a tissue—it is a human being, a person with a future, an anointing and a call from God with a purpose on this earth. God’s Word is clear—we are to choose life.
- Proverbs 6:16-17: “There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood” (NIV).
- Psalm 139:13: “You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb.”
- Psalm 22:31: “His righteous acts will be told to those not yet born.
They will hear about everything he has done.”
- Isaiah 44:2: “This is what the Lord says—he who made you, who formed you in the womb, and who will help you” (NIV).
- Isaiah 46:3: “Listen to me, you descendants of Jacob, all the remnant of the people of Israel, you whom I have upheld since your birth, and have carried since you were born” (NIV).
- Jeremiah 1:5: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart” (NIV).
Before you were born, God knew you. He set you apart. That is how special you were even before you were even born. The same applies to every unborn baby.
- Psalm 78:5-6: “He established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which He commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children; that the generation to come might know them, the children who would be born” (NKJV).
- Ecclesiastes 11:5: “As you do not know what is the way of the wind, or how the bones grow in the womb of her who is with child, so you do not know the works of God who makes everything” (NKJV).
- Luke 1:41: “At the sound of Mary’s greeting, Elizabeth’s child leaped within her, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.”
Certainly, there are far more verses that affirm God’s value of life, even in the womb. There is no question where God stands on abortion. He is always for life.
Watch Pastor George Pearsons preach a powerful message on abortion.
4. What is the Hyde Amendment?
There is a lot of talk about the Hyde Amendment in this election cycle. Democrats, for the first time, are seeking to repeal this important piece of legislation. Here is an explanation of the Hyde Amendment and why it’s so important in the 2020 election.
- The Hyde Amendment prohibits federal Medicaid dollars (taxpayer dollars) from paying for abortion, unless the life of the mother is at risk.
- The Hyde Amendment was first enacted by Congress in 1976 and has been passed each year since then with bipartisan support.
- The majority of Americans oppose their tax dollars paying for abortion.
- With the passage of the Hyde Amendment, the abortion rate dropped significantly, saving an estimated 2.1 million lives.
The move by Democrats to repeal the Hyde Amendment is just one example of how extreme they’ve become in the area of abortion. It’s time for the Church to arise and stand up for these precious unborn little ones.
5. What is the Born-Alive Infant Protection Act and the Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act?
While there is no mention of the Born-Alive Infant Protection Act or the Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act in the Democratic Party platform, the following is an excerpt from the Republican Party platform explaining both, which were authored by Republicans.
We applaud the U.S. House of Representatives for leading the effort to add enforcement to the Born-Alive Infant Protection Act by passing the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act, which imposes appropriate civil and criminal penalties on healthcare providers who fail to provide treatment and care to an infant who survives an abortion, including early induction delivery whether the death of the infant is intended. We strongly oppose infanticide. Over a dozen states have passed Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Acts prohibiting abortion after twenty weeks, the point at which current medical research shows that unborn babies can feel excruciating pain during abortions, and we call on Congress to enact the federal version. Not only is it good legislation, but it enjoys the support of a majority of the American people. We support state and federal efforts against the cruelest forms of abortion, especially dismemberment abortion procedures, in which unborn babies are literally torn apart limb from limb.
These 5 questions and answers about abortion and the 2020 election are a lot to take in, but there is an urgency in this matter. More than 60 million babies have gone through this horrific experience, and their blood is crying out for justice. God will hold us responsible for how we vote on this issue. This is why we are voting for life in the 2020 election!
Watch as our special panel on Believers’ Voice of Victory discusses why abortion is the No. 1 issue to consider when voting.
© 1997 – 2021 Eagle Mountain International Church Inc. Aka Kenneth Copeland Ministries. All Rights Reserved.