by Gloria Copeland
Are you discouraged by a situation in your life? Discouraged that your job isn’t taking you where you want to go? Discouraged that your family relationships aren’t what you want them to be? Discouraged that your friendships are lackluster? If so, it’s time to change your perspective. So often, Satan uses discouragement to beat you down. If he can convince you that your life stinks, then he can get control of your mind and eventually your life. Begin putting these strategies into practice and combat discouragement at the source.
- Remember that Satan has no authority over you or your life.
“So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death.” –Romans 8:1-2
The devil’s only power comes from what he can convince you is true. If he can convince you that you are a powerless victim and that you have no hope, then he has won. Don’t give him that control. Remember what the Word of God calls you—“more than a conqueror” (Romans 8:37).
- Turn to the Word.
“But you belong to God, my dear children. You have already won a victory over those people, because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world.” –1 John 4:4
When discouraging thoughts come to your mind, remember what the Word says. Open your Bible and discover the promises that God has made you regarding your job, family, friends or whatever is bringing you down.
- Pray in the Holy Spirt.
And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. –Romans 8:26
When you don’t know how to pray, the Holy Spirit still does. Begin praying in the Holy Spirit. Then listen as He reveals His will to your spirit.
Put these steps into practice—and continue to put these steps into practice—until those feelings of discouragement dissipate. Don’t give in to the lies that the enemy will throw your way. Remember, he has no control over you. Turn to the Word and pray in the Holy Spirit. When you put these strategies into practice, discouragement is sure to lose its hold!
7 Scriptures to Combat Discouragement
Satan loves to use discouraging thoughts to gain control of your life. If he can convince you that you are a failure, then he can keep you from fulfilling all that God has for you. Here are seven scriptures to stand on to combat discouragement:
- Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
- Romans 8:1-2: “So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus.And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death.”
- Romans 8:38-39: And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Romans 12:12: Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying.
- 1 John 4:4: “But you belong to God, my dear children. You have already won a victory over those people, because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world.”
- John 14:12-14: “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!
- Psalm 91:1-2: Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.
Right now, begin thanking God for His Word. Let these powerful, life-giving scriptures wash over you and remind you of the loving God you serve.
© 1997 – 2023 Eagle Mountain International Church Inc. Aka Kenneth Copeland Ministries. All Rights Reserved.